Facilities & Directions
Alexander Field became the new home of Purdue baseball beginning with fall practice in September 2012. Previously, Lambert Field was the home of the Boilermakers from 1965 to 2012.
The inaugural regular-season game was held at Alexander Field on March 22, 2013, against Ohio State. Purdue posted its first win on Friday, April 5 vs. Northwestern. An official stadium dedication ceremony was held between games of the April 20 doubleheader against Nebraska. The ceremony featured remarks from former head coach and the stadium's lead donor Dave Alexander.
Alexander Field features Alex's Clubhouse down the left field line, a building that houses Purdue's team locker room, indoor hitting facility, team meeting room and sports medicine room. Purdue's third base dugout has been named in honor of the Omholt Family. Glenn E. Omholt (1946-50) & David E. Omholt (1988-92) both played baseball for the Boilermakers and donated to the Alexander Field project. The sports medicine room in the clubhouse was named in honor of Charles & Susan Armstrong. Chuck Armstrong is a Purdue alumnus & was the president of the Seattle Mariners from 1992 to 2013.
Alexander Field was named in honor of the late John and Anna Margaret Ross Alexander. The Alexanders were the parents of Dave Alexander, who provided the lead gift for the project. Dave Alexander was Purdue baseball coach from 1978 to 1991 and then an athletics administrator through 1994. All three Alexanders graduated from Purdue, and Dave played on Purdue's baseball team.
John Alexander earned a bachelor's degree in 1933, while Anna Margaret Ross Alexander earned a bachelor's degree in 1935. Both received honorary doctorates from Purdue in 1986. John Alexander was a partner in the Indianapolis law firm Krieg, DeVault, Alexander and Capehart. He was a leading authority on banking legislation in the state. He was president of the Purdue Alumni Association from 1953-1955.
Anna Margaret Ross Alexander was an active community leader in Indianapolis, particularly with the schools. She was a member of the Indianapolis Board of School Commissioners from 1966 to 1970, serving as president in 1969 and 1970. In 1984 she was the first recipient of the Purdue Alumni Association Citizenship Award.